A movable nest



We launched our pontoon boat in late April this year. As with anything, maintenance is required. The project this year was to replace the bimini top. We had replaced the side panels previously.

It was a very cool day and I had had troubles launching the boat.
I carefully lined the boat up with the launch and slowly backed in. When I got out of the truck the boat would be at a 45 degree angle to the dock.
After four (4) tries I realized I hadn’t undone the stern (back end) hold downs.
Hard to get a boat off a trailer when it is still tied down.

So, once the boat was at the dock and most of the canvas was on I decided not to put the two front panels on. No real reason, I just didn’t do it.

About a week later we decided to go on a boating/birding cruise. When we got there swallows were dive bombing me as I got close to the boat.

Once inside I understood why. They had decided to nest on the inside lip of the top canvas. Normally I don’t disturb bird nests; however, this just wasn’t going to work.
The nest was just started so I removed it.

They really got excited when the boat left the dock and they were waiting when we got back.

I don’t know how it would have worked out if I left the nest. Would they follow the boat when we went for a cruise or would they have abandoned the nest?

I make sure the boat is fully closed to avoid a repeat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Golden-crowned kinglet.

Connecticut warbler

My Cat is Stranger Than Your Cat