Now I lay me down to sleep

Now I lay me down to sleep by ricmcarthur
Now I lay me down to sleep, a photo by ricmcarthur on Flickr.
Or hang on for a nap, which ever works for you.

This is a young red-bellied woodpecker who has its head tucked back under its wing.

Shades of the headless horseman.

We watched it hop around on the ground, do a short flight and then climb an old willow tree in the yard.
We didn't see or hear an adult so it may have been on its own.

We put some suet in the bark in hopes it would find it and have a meal.
We heard adult red-bellied woodpeckers in the yard this morning and we didn't see the young bird in the willow, although it is a big tree.
From the sounds this morning it was reunited with the adults.

Alls well that ends well.

melanerpes carolinus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Golden-crowned kinglet.

Connecticut warbler

My Cat is Stranger Than Your Cat